PORK SPIEDINI AND GRILLED VEGETABLE SALAD
Write a review
- • 1 lb (500 g) Ontario pork cubes
- • 1 head garlic, roasted for 30 minutes at 400°F (200°C)
- • ½ cup (125 mL) olive oil
- • ½ tsp (2 mL) each: salt and ground black pepper
- • 16 whole mushrooms (button or Cremini)
- • 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch/2.5 cm squares
- • ½ red onion , cut into 1 inch/2.5 cm squares
- • 1 bunch fresh sage leaves
- • 8 cherry tomatoes
- • 4 slices ciabatta or crusty sourdough bread
- • Juice from 1 lemon
- • 6x 10-inch/25 cm bamboo skewers
- 1. Cut the top off the cooked garlic and squeeze the flesh into the olive oil in a small mixing bowl; whisk to incorporate. Add the salt and pepper. This can be prepared, covered and refrigerated the day before.
- 2. Thread the pork onto two of the skewers. Thread the mushrooms, peppers, onions and sage leaves on to the four remaining skewers, using plenty of sage leaves and folding the larger leaves in half. Place a cherry tomato at both ends of each vegetable skewer.
- 3. Pre-heat barbecue to high then decrease to medium to grill. Brush the pork and vegetables with the garlic olive oil mixture and grill, brushing with more of the oil mixture and turning skewers frequently, until the pork is just cooked and the vegetables begin to char, about 15 minutes. Brush bread slices with some of the garlic olive oil and grill lightly on both sides.
- 4. Remove the pork and vegetables from the skewers and pile on top of the grilled bread. Squeeze some lemon juice over, and serve.
- FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES LIKE THIS, VISIT ONTHEGO.TO AND SEARCH ONTARIO PORK
ON the GO Magazine https://www.onthego.to/