Chocolate Lava Cake With Caramelized Bacon Bits
Write a review
- • 4 slices of duBreton Black Forest Smoked Bacon
- • 3 Tbsp (45 mL) icing sugar
- • 1 Tbsp (15 mL) flour
- • 1 Tbsp (15 mL) cocoa
- • 1 Tbsp (15 mL) butter
- • ½ cup (125 mL) dark or semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- • ⅓ cup (80 mL) butter
- • 2 eggs
- • ⅓ cup (80 mL) brown sugar
- • ⅓ cup (80 mL) flour
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- 2. Cook the bacon until fully cooked but still soft, and remove excess fat using paper towel. Roughly chop the bacon and toss with icing sugar in a mixing bowl until bacon pieces are evenly coated.
- 3. Spread bacon pieces on a baking sheet and cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until the bacon is crispy and caramelized. Let bacon cool and finely chop.
- 4. Mix flour and cocoa together. Butter 4 medium ramekins and coat with the flour and cocoa mixture.
- 5. Melt chocolate and remaining butter together in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Set aside and let cool slightly.
- 6. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat eggs and brown sugar for 3 minutes. Add cooled melted chocolate, remaining flour and ¾ of the remaining bacon and mix thoroughly. Pour mixture evenly
- into the ramekins.
- 7. Bake on the middle oven rack for 12 to 15 minutes. Turn the ramekins out onto plates and top with remaining bacon. Dust with cocoa and icing sugar. Serve hot so the centres are soft and slightly runny.
- Recipe can be prepared in advance and refrigerated before baking. If refrigerating first, increase the cooking time to 15 to 17 minutes.
ON the GO Magazine https://www.onthego.to/