Back to school with beer
During the summer I settle into my comfort beers – beers I can enjoy a handful of while I’m at the BBQ or just kicking back after cutting the lawn. Their mission in life is to taste great, refresh me and go with pretty much any food or occasion I throw at them. But the summer is over and it’s time to get back to beer school.
While we were resting over the summer, some of Ontario’s finest craft breweries were hard at work getting ready for the beer event of the year – Toronto Beer Week (www.torontobeerweek.com). In the interest of full disclosure (and for those who haven’t read my little bio) I’m the Executive Director of Toronto Beer Week so I may be a bit biased. But the “week” of September 13th – 21st is reallyone of my favourite times of the year. TBW brings together over 30 craft breweries and 55 of Toronto’s finest bars and restaurants for 9 days of sheer beer bliss. I like to call it the Summerlicious of beer.
The restaurants range from fine dining to “a quiet place for a pint” and the beers run the gamut from snifters to pitchers. The events are just as varied as the beer: sit-down beer dinners hosted by some of Canada’s finest Brewmasters and classic pub crawls with friends. Many of the breweries produce some astounding one-off beers or cask versions of their classics that can only be found during TBW.
I don my lederhosen for the entire 9 days and you can’t miss me as I pop into events all around Toronto, trying new beers and revisiting my favourites. If you see me say hi and while we are chatting why not buy me a pint (couldn’t hurt) and let’s chat about beer. So grab a friend and get out there, try a new restaurant and order a pint of craft beer. And when the week is over – pretend it’s not and keep discovering new places and beers.
Where do I start? Here’s a small selection ofTBW Events not to be missed:
- Toronto’s Premium Beer Experience is the official kick-off of TBW – www.beerexperience.ca
- C’est What’s 25th Annual Festival of Craft Beer is the epicentre of craft beer in TO –www.cestwhat.ca
- Old Toronto Beer Tour mixes liberal amounts of beer with history and humour –
- The Golden Tap Awards gives the vote back to the people – www.goldentapawards.com
- Indie Alehouse Homebrew Tap Takeover – do you have what it takes to be the next top brewer? –
- Great Lakes Brewing and Spearhead Brewing are both hosting pub crawls which is like bar speed-dating – www.torontobeerweek.com