Top 3 DIY Thanksgiving Crafts for Your Home
Fall is here — time to embrace changing leaves, cozy sweaters, and the P.S.L (Pumpkin-spice latte) hashtag. With this season also comes one of our favourite Canadian holidays — Thanksgiving!
To create a memorable Thanksgiving experience, rustic and bountiful vibes need to exist beyond the food at the dinner table. Welcome your friends and family with these 5 easy and festive DIY decorations.
1. Thanksgiving Flower Mason Jars
Photo and inspiration from MidnightOwlCandleCo: https://www.etsy.com/listing/239721827/set-of-4-hand-painted-mason-jars-autumn?ref=shop_home_active_6
These mason jars can be used as a crafty centre piece or adornment for a side credenza. Use them to spell out festive words like “Thanks” or “Fall”!
What you’ll need:
- Mason jars (varies with number of letters required)
- Burlap wrap
- Assortment of earth-toned chalk paint: earth green, brown, yellow-gold, burgundy
- Letter stencils
- Black or dark brown permanent marker
- Real/artificial fall bouquets: corn husks, coloured leaves, sunflowers, etc.
1. Choose which word you want to spell out with the jars. This will determine the amount of jars, pieces of burlap and letter stencils required.
2. Wrap burlap once around the circumference of a mason jar to measure necessary length of each burlap piece. Leave a two-inch excess buffer.
3. Cut additional pieces of burlap to match the length of the piece cut in Step 2
4. Using letter stencils and permanent markers, print letters onto burlap to spell a festive word, i.e. “Fall” (see photo)
5. Paint each Mason jar in a different colour of chalk paint. Ensure the paint layer is thin. Wait 30 minutes and repeat with second coat.
6. Let dry for minimum 8–10 hours.
7. Add a “weathered” look to the paint by gently brushing sandpaper on the base edges and rim of each jar.
8. Tightly wrap burlap covering around each jar. Secure with hot glue at the ends.
9. Tie a twine bow around the rim of each jar.
10. Fill with assorted flowers.
2. Decorated Pumpkin Ice Bucket
Photo from lacrema: www.lacrema.com/halloween-diy-polka-dot-pumpkin-ice-bucket/
Make your white wine seasonal and stylish with pumpkin ice buckets! You can embrace your creative side and modify this craft by using different paint colours, stencils, and designs. We recommend stocking your crafty cooler with one of the white wines from Tony Aspler’s expert wine list. A crisp Chardonnay or a light Sauvignon Blanc pairs beautifully with turkey dinner.
What you’ll need:
- A white or orange craft pumpkin (or real pumpkin, gutted)
- Stencil shapes
- Design sponges
Learn the steps from craft connoisseur Ashley Pepitone: www.lacrema.com/halloween-diy-polka-dot-pumpkin-ice-bucket/
3. Cinnamon Stick Place Settings
Photo from Mysoulfulhome.com : www.mysoulfulhome.com/progressive-thanksgiving-dinner-place-cards/
Make your guests feel special with personalized place settings. These cinnamon stick place settings are a simple and aromatic way to pull your table decor together and avoid seating confusion!
Check out Kelly Wilkins and her blog My Soulful Home for the materials list and step-by-step instructions: www.mysoulfulhome.com/progressive-thanksgiving-dinner-place-cards/