SPICY SCALLOPED POTATOES
This creamy dinner favourite is spiked with spicy Mexican flavours of salsa and jalapeno. If you want to decrease the heat slightly omit the pickled jalapenos and you will still end up with a tasty side dish.
Write a review
- • 2 Tbsp (25 mL) butter
- • 2 Tbsp (25 mL) all-purpose flour
- • 2¼ cups (550 mL) warm milk
- • 1 cup (250 mL) shredded jalapeno harvati cheese
- • ½ tsp (2 mL) each salt and dried oregano
- • ¼ tsp (1 mL) each ground cumin and pepper
- • 2 lb (1 kg) round red or white or long Ontario Potatoes (about 5), scrubbed
- • 1 cup (250 mL) chunky salsa
- • ¼ cup (50 mL) drained pickled jalapeno pepper slices (optional)
- In saucepan melt butter over medium heat and add flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Whisk in milk and cook, whisking constantly for 3 to 5 minutes or until beginning to boil and thicken. Remove from heat and whisk in cheese, salt, oregano, cumin and pepper until smooth; set aside.
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes. Arrange one third of the slices into greased 8-inch (2 L) square baking dish. Spread with half of the salsa. Repeat layers once and layer remaining potato slices on top. Pour cheese sauce over top and around sides to cover evenly and reach bottom of dish. Sprinkle with pickled jalapeno peppers, if using.
- Cover with foil or lid and bake in 375°F (190°C) for 1 hour. Uncover and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and potatoes are tender. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
ON the GO Magazine http://www.onthego.to/