Port Cherry Roast Duck
Write a review
- 1 King Cole whole duck (about 5 lbs)
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups ruby red port
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 fresh sage leaves
- 2 additional shallots, halved
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- Trim excess skin and fat from duck and reserve for other use. Place duck on rack in roasting pan; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and cook shallots and garlic for about 6 minutes until softened.
- Add port and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until reduced by half.
- Using a small paring knife, pierce skin a few times; sprinkle duck with salt, inside cavity and on skin. Place sage leaves and shallots into duck cavity. Remove about 1/2 cup of port mixture and brush all over duck. Add cherries to remaining port and set aside.
- Place duck in centre of a 325°F oven and roast for about 3 hours until skin is crisp and golden brown
- Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Reheat port and cherries and serve with duck
- Tip: Duck should be quartered not carved.
- For more recipes from King Cole Duck, visit www.kingcoleducks.com
ON the GO Magazine http://www.onthego.to/