PORK SOUVLAKI- STYLE PITA
Try this delicious heart-healthy recipe for grilling season. Prep Time: 15 minutes (plus time to marinate) Cook Time: 10 minutes Makes 4 servings.
Write a review
- • 1 lb (450 g) Ontario pork loin, cubed 1” x 1”
- • 1 Tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- • juice of 2 lemons
- • 5 cloves garlic, minced
- • 3 Tbsp (45 mL) dried oregano
- TZATZIKI SAUCE
- • ½ cup (125 mL) 0% Greek yogurt
- • ¼ cup (60 mL) cucumber, grated
- • 1 clove garlic, minced
- • ½ tsp (2 mL) fresh dill, minced
- • ⅛ tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- • 2 whole wheat pitas
- • ½ cup (125 mL) EACH sliced cucumber, onion, tomato
- 1. In a resealable bag, combine cubed pork loin, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and oregano. Massage the pork till the ingredients are well combined and the pork is well coated. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2–24 hours.
- 2. Tzatziki Sauce: In a bowl, mix together yogurt, cucumber, garlic, dill and pepper. Stir to combine, cover and leave in the fridge until ready to serve.
- 3. Soak wooden skewers in water for at least half an hour. Thread the marinated pork cubes onto the wooden skewers. Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Grill the pork skewers for around 10 minutes, 5 minutes on each side, or until an internal temperature of 160°F (71°C) has been reached.
- 4. Serve pork souvlaki on half a toasted whole wheat pita with sliced cucumber, onions, tomatoes and tzatziki sauce. TIP: Buy your tzatziki sauce at the store to make this easier, but remember to take a look at the nutrition facts table for lower sodium and lower saturated fat options.
ON the GO Magazine http://www.onthego.to/