Courtesy of Foodland Ontario – www.foodland.gov.on.ca
Greenhouse Tomatoes and mozzarella cheese give this old favourite a new Italian twist that you and your family are sure to love. Try our new Pizza Pork Chops.
- 8 oz (250 g) Ontario Mozzarella Cheese
- 6 Ontario Pork Chops, cut 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick with pocket
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 3 medium Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes, chopped
- 1-½ cups (375 mL) sliced Ontario Mushrooms
- 1 medium Ontario Onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
Grate half the cheese; set aside. Slice remaining cheese into six 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick slices. Place 1 slice in each pork chop pocket; secure with one-half of a toothpick (this makes it easier to brown). Brown chops on each side in oil in large skillet. Remove to baking dish. In same skillet, cook tomatoes, mushrooms, onion, garlic, oil, basil, oregano, salt and pepper until thickened and vegetables are tender; pour over pork chops. Bake, covered, in 350°F (180°C) oven about 1 hour or until juices run clear when pork is pierced and just a hint of pink remains inside. Remove toothpicks. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella.