Paella with Chicken and Bratwurst – Gluten Free
- 2 Piller’s Simply Free® Bratwurst,sliced into rounds
- 12 oz. skinless, boneless chicken breast(about 3 breasts), cubed
- 3 Tbsp. rice or potato fl our
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup short-grain Arborio rice
- 2½ cups chicken stock
- 2 cups plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1½ tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp. crumbled saffron threads
- Pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 12 mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
Dust the chicken with fl our. In a large non-stick skillet, add the vegetable oil and place over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken on all sides, about 3 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Cook the onions and garlic over medium-high heat for 4 minutes, or until softened. Add the sausage and cook for 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in the red and green peppers, cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the rice and cook for 1 minute.
Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, basil, oregano, bay leaf, saffron, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is almost tender. Add the shrimp, mussels and reserved chicken to the sausage mixture.
Increase the heat to medium-high and cook for 5 minutes, covered, or until the rice is soft and the mussels have opened. If the rice begins to stick to the bottom, add another ½ cup stock.
Discard the bay leaf and any mussels that do not open.
Distribute evenly among large individual bowls, garnish with parsley and serve immediately.