Mediterranean Stuffed Pork Meatballs
Yield: Makes 24 meatballs
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
• 1 lb (450 g) lean ground Ontario pork
• 1 egg
• 2 Tbsp (30 mL) milk
• ½ cup (125 mL) mushrooms, minced
• ½ onion, minced
• ½ tsp (2 mL) EACH salt and pepper
• 1 Tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
• ¼ cup (60 mL) goat’s cheese or cream cheese
• 1 Tbsp (15 mL) honey
• 2 Tbsp (30 mL) EACH fresh basil, sun dried tomatoes,black olives; minced
• ½ tsp (2 mL) nonstick oil spray
1. In a mixing bowl, mix together ground pork, egg, milk, mushrooms, onion, salt/pepper and balsamic vinegar till well combined.
2. In a separate small bowl, mix together cheese, honey, basil, sun dried tomatoes and black olives till well combined.
3. Take 1 tsp of the cheese mixture and form it into a ball. Take 2 Tbsp of the pork mixture and make a bowl shape. Place the ball of cheese in the centre and wrap the pork around the cheese mixture forming it into a ball.
4. Spray a large skillet with nonstick oil spray and brown the meatballs over high heat. Once browned on all sides, turn to medium heat and cook covered for 5 minutes or until no pink remains and an internal temperature of 160°F (71°C) has been reached.
5. Serve as part of a charcuterie plate or an appetizer on its own.
FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES LIKE THIS, VISIT ONTHEGO.TO AND SEARCH KAMUT