Ham Panini with Balsamic Hummus
Panini are warm and crisp sandwiches that can fill the lunchtime crunch or even enjoyed at dinner with soup and salad. With less than 500 grams of fat, this recipe is delicious and healthy!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes per batch of sandwiches
Yield: 4 sandwiches/ 1/2 cup (125 mL) hummus
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) hummus
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 green onion, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh basil
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 8 thin slices extra lean sodium reduced ham (about 175 g)
- 1 yellow or red bell pepper, roasted
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded 2 year old cheddar
1. Stir together hummus, vinegar, mustard, onion and basil. Spread mixture over bread slices. Top half of the bread with ham, pepper and tomato slices. Sprinkle with cheese.
2. Top each with remaining bread slices and place in panini press. Close lid and grill until bread is golden and cheese is melted. Cut in half on the diagonal to serve.
Tip: To roast peppers, grill over medium high heat or place under broiler, turning occasionally for about 10 minutes or until blistered and blackened. Cool slightly then remove outside skin and seeds. You can also use jarred roasted red peppers.