BBQ Tofu Sandwich
Write a review
- • ¼ cup thinly sliced onion
- • 14-ounce package extra-firm or firm water-packed tofu, drained
- • ⅛ tsp salt
- • 1 Tbsp canola oil
- • ½ cup prepared barbecue sauce
- • 1 ½ cups coleslaw mix (see Note) or finely shredded cabbage
- • 2 Tbsp low-fat mayonnaise
- • 2 tsp red-wine vinegar
- • ¼ tsp garlic powder
- • Freshly ground pepper to taste
- • 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- • 4 dill pickle sandwich slices
- 1. Place onion in a small bowl, cover with cold water and set aside. Stand tofu on its long narrow side. Cut lengthwise into 4 rectangular slabs, each about ½-inch thick, and pat dry. Sprinkle with salt.
- 2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the tofu slabs (depending on the size of your pan — the tofu may slope up the sides a little). Cook until browned on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Reduce heat to low. Add barbecue sauce and carefully turn the tofu to coat with the sauce. Cover and cook for 3 minutes more.
- 3. Meanwhile, combine coleslaw (or cabbage), mayonnaise, vinegar, garlic powder and pepper in a medium bowl. Drain the onion.
- 4. To assemble sandwiches, place about ⅓ cup of the coleslaw (or cabbage) mixture on each bun and top with a tofu slab, a pickle slice and a few onion slices. Spread any sauce remaining in the pan on the top buns.
ON the GO Magazine http://www.onthego.to/