Barley Mushroom Risotto
• 5 cups vegetable broth
• 1 Tbsp butter
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 cup pearl barley
• ¾ tsp dried thyme
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped
• 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1. In a large saucepan, bring the broth to a broil.
2. At the same time, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Sautée onion in the butter for 5 minutes.
3. Add barley, thyme, and 2 cups of hot broth to the butter and onion mixture. Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until most of the broth is absorbed.
4. Pour in the remaining broth ½ cup at a time, stirring and allowing it to become absorbed before adding more.
5. Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Sautée mushrooms in the hot oil until tender, then add garlic and cook for 3 more minutes. Stir in the finished barley mixture and fresh parsley. Serves 6.