Barley, Black Bean Burgers
When you think of barley, you normally think of beer and soup. One of those things is a great fit for a summer BBQ(the other one is soup). Here’s a better way to benefit from the dietary fibre and beta glucans of barley on a hot summer night.
Write a review
- Can of black beans (or 1/2 cup dried black beans, soakedovernight and boiled until soft)
- 1/4 cup dried pearl barley, soaked overnight and cookedon the stove
- 1/4 green onion, chopped fine
- 1/3 cup carrots, diced fine
- 1/2 cup leafy greens (tougher greens like kale work best)
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1. Soak the barley (and black beans, if you’re using the driedvariety) overnight and cook them on the stove.
- 2.Sauté leafy greens, green onion, and carrots in the oliveoil in a pan. Once everything is cooked, turn off the heatand set it aside.
- 3.Process the black beans in a food processor first – then,add the barley until everything is mixed through.
- 4.Add the cooked vegetables and bread crumbs to the foodprocessor and pulse until it is completely incorporated.Season the mix with salt and pepper to taste.
- 5.Form patties with the mix. If you want to cook them fresh,pan fry them until both sides are brown and finish heatingthrough in an oven for about 15 minutes. If you want tocook them on the barbecue, it works best if you freezethe patties first. Garnish with avacado and caramelizedonions to taste.
ON the GO Magazine http://www.onthego.to/