Abbey’s Kitchen Chicken Parmesan Lite
We’re back to work and school, which means meal planning has become a real (but annoying) reality. Chicken parmesan is one of our weeknight favourites but the excess fat, carbs and calories make it an occasional treat.
This lightened up version starts by adding ground-up mushrooms to the patties to boost fibre and cut calories. It also skips the breadcrumb crust for a high-fibre version with Kellogg’s All-Bran cereal — ½ cup of All-Bran Original cereal has 48% of your recommended daily fibre! Also, why deep-fry when a light pan-fry totally does the trick?
The result is a perfect healthy snack for entertaining or an easy weeknight meal that the whole family will love.
- CHICKEN PATTY
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ¼ small chopped onion
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ lb. ground chicken breast
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, finely minced
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup sundried tomatoes, rehydrated
- in boiled water and finely minced
- ½ tsp worchestershire sauce
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 cup All-Bran Original
- 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese
- Pinch each of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ cup lower-sodium marinara sauce
- 8 slider buns, halved and toasted if desired
- 3 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (about ¾ cup)
- Fresh basil leaves
- 1. Add the mushrooms to a food processor and pulse until they reach a ground meat-like consistency.
- 2. Heat a medium non-stick skillet with oil over medium heat. Add the onion, oregano, and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, then let cool in a bowl.
- 3. Add the mushrooms, chicken, and remaining patty ingredients. Shape into 8 (½-inch-thick) patties. Refrigerate for 5 minutes.
- 4. Pulse the All Bran and parmesan cheese in a food processor to yield a breadcrumb like consistency. Season with salt and pepper and put in a pie plate.
- 5. Add another teaspoon of oil to the pan, carefully toss the patties in the All-Bran crumbs on both sides, then add them to the pan. Cook they reach 165° F inside, about 5-6 minutes per side.
- 6. Preheat broiler and place the bottom halves of the slider buns on a baking sheet. Top with a spoonful of marinara sauce, the chicken patty, another spoonful of sauce, and a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese. Broil until the cheese melts.
- 7. Garnish with a basil leaf and the top of the slider bun.
- Follow Abbey online: www.abbeyskitchen.com