Valentine’s Day is around the corner and a lot of you may be contemplating what token gift to go with this year. Well, I say skip the crusty drug store chocolates, generic teddy bear and overpriced prix-fixe restaurant meals out that have a bigger impact on your wallet and waistline than your Valentine’s mood. Make a real impression on your mate by cooking a romantic meal at home and concluding with a dessert made of love, bubbles and strawberries. And of course, a little booze. This sweet finish is surprisingly easy, gluten free, incredibly impressive, and features the ultimate romantic celebration ingredient — a sexy pink sparkling wine. My personal go to for making any occasion special is the Chilean strawberry sparkling called Fresita, that gets its pretty pink hue and berry flavour 100% naturally from hand-picked Patagonian strawberries. Sip it throughout your romantic homemade meal for the ultimate Valentine’s theme and then use it to whip up this Brûléed Strawberry Sabayon with Ruby Red Berries.
Brûléed Strawberry Sabayon with Ruby Red Berries Serves 2
• 2 cups fresh (or frozen and thawed) red berries such as sliced strawberries and raspberries
• 2 egg yolks
• 2 Tbsp white sugar
• ¼ cup Fresita Strawberry Sparkling Wine
• 2 Tbsp brown sugar, divided
• Prepare a large bowl filled with ice water.
• Place a glass or metal bowl over a pot with 1–2 inches deep of water, making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water.
• Add 2 egg yolks, 2 Tbsp of sugar and ¼ cup of Fresita sparkling wine to the bowl and bring the water to a simmer over medium low heat.
• Whisk the sabayon in the bowl until it has doubled in volume and forms a ribbon with the whisk — about 4–5 minutes. Transfer the bowl to sit within the ice-filled bowl for a few minutes to cool down.
• Divide the berries into two ramekins and spoon the sabayon over the berries.
• Top the sabayon with a sprinkling of brown sugar and using a kitchen blow torch (or a broiler), brûlée the sugar until brown and caramelized. Serve immediately.
So why not save the calories and cash from overpriced Valentine’s Day dinners out and tacky gifts when your sweetheart will taste the love in this Brûléed Strawberry Sabayon with Fresita wine. Pick up a bottle of Fresita at the LCBO for your romantic celebrations, and check out my website for some more date-worthy recipes this February 14th.
Follow Abbey online: www.abbeyskitchen.com