Summer Is Coming And So Are The Thunderstorms
Storms can approach quickly and without much warning, so plan now for a family emergency kit. Involve your children as you create a list of items needed in the event of an extended power outage.
BE SURE TO INCLUDE THESE:
- Water (recommend 2 litres per person/day)
- Canned or dried food that won’t spoil
- A manual can opener
- Windup or battery powered flashlight
- Windup or battery powered radio
- Extra batteries for your flashlight and radio
- Any medical items you require
- Hydro One’s emergency power outage hotline number is 1-800-434-1235. Make sure you have at least one corded phone at home; a cordless phone will not work in a power outage.
- Fully charged cell-phone.
Once your emergency kit is complete, keep it in a backpack and make sure everyone in your home knows where to find it. For local updates on power outages and estimated restorations times, download the Hydro One app for immediate information. Also helpful is the video on power emergencies at www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mghrs9g37Fo.
If the power system in your area is affected by bad weather, be sure to stay clear of any fallen power lines. If you spot a fallen line, keep at least 10 metres back, even if it does not appear to be live. Report it to the police and call Hydro One at 1-800-434-1235
Safety is at the core of everything Hydro One employees do. Not only are crews trained in First Aid, but every Hydro One vehicle is equipped with a first aid kit. — www.newscanada.com