Sleep Quiz: Are You Getting Enough Sleep?
There’s really no magic number that represents the ideal amount of sleep for each person. The amount of sleep you need is whatever allows you to wake up feeling rested and refreshed — ideally without hitting the snooze button 42 times.
Generally, adults tend to need between 7 and 9 hours per night, although some can function well on 5 hours per night, and some are zombies with anything less than 10.
To determine whether you’re getting the right amount of sleep for you, answer the following questions:
- Do you need an alarm clock to wake up? Yes No
- Do you tend to sleep longer on weekends? Yes No
- Do you have trouble getting out of bed in the morning? Yes No
- Do you feel sleepy during the day? Yes No
- Do you get drowsy while sitting in a public place, such as on the subway, a train or at the movies? Yes No
- Do you have headaches early in the morning? Yes No
- Do you need a cup of coffee to get yourself through the afternoon? Yes No
- Do you nod off at your desk or during meetings? Yes No
If you answered “yes” to most of these questions, you probably aren’t getting enough sleep. One way to determine how much sleep you actually need is to pay attention to your sleep during your next vacation.
Try going to bed around the same time each night and getting up when you feel like it.
After a couple of days, you’ll be able to easily determine the amount of sleep your body needs naturally.
Have a sleep issue or question? Visit the Sleep Experts section online at sleepcountry.ca.