You may be surprised to know that Dry Eye is a disease estimated to affect more than 500,000 Canadians. It occurs when your eyes do not produce enough tears or when your tears do not have the right chemical composition.
Clear vision and overall eye health rely on a film of tears over the eyes. This tear film consists of three main layers that work together to keep your eyes both comfortable and protected. If anything affects the balance of these layers, your tears can evaporate, leaving eyes feeling dry and irritated.
One of the most common symptoms of Dry Eye Disease is the feeling of dryness, but sufferers may also experience sensations of grittiness, scratchiness, burning, or stinging eyes.
Not everyone will experience the same symptoms, but most people with dry eye will agree that persistent symptoms can make everyday activities difficult, and can interrupt hobbies and activities you enjoy.
The causes of dry eye disease are almost endless. They include:
• Medications — antidepressants, antihypertensives, antihistamines, nasal decongestants, Parkinson’s drugs
• Medical conditions such as seasonal allergies
• Environmental conditions — winds, low humidity, air conditioning, air travel
• Occupational factors — infrequent blinking from staring at computers or TV screens
• Eye conditions, injuries and vision correction — LASIK surgery, long-term contact lens wear
Unfortunately, there is no cure for dry eye disease. But a comprehensive or well-rounded management plan made up of three simple tools: lubricating tears, eyelid hygiene and proper nutrition can help relieve symptoms.
The Systane® Family of Products includes options that work with your natural tears to soothe, rehydrate, and protect your eyes, for relief that lasts so that you can fully enjoy and keep up with your hobbies, work and other activities.